Tuesday 1 March 2011

Belated 9mm bullet casing screencaps

I needed to make some empty shell casings to have lying on the floor of the safehouse so I had to first find a suitable reference which wasn't difficult however finding one with a reasonable resolution was.

After acquiring the image using the line tool again was how the shell was going to be made, then adding lathe in order to fill out the rest of the shell.



I did have a few tries at this since it seems to be a bit hit and miss when trying to make precice indentations when adding lathe afterwards without it giving you shoddy looking results but sooner or later it just seems to happen.

Since making the bullet casing was fairly simple, I decided to make it into a short animation. I cloned the casing once or twice or seven times and added a rigid body modifier into the scene. In conjunction with reactor will allow the bullet shells to hit the ground, bounce, spin, etc.

However finding the right settings for this is fairly fiddly, none of the values can be too high for the rigid body collection otherwise it will yield some totally awful looking results or probably crash your computer. This is mainly related to the mass slider on the rigid body collection properties menu.

After a while of trying to achieve desired settings, I felt I could get a bit more out of this animation so I decided to add PF Source into the scene for some smoke effects. Now this is where it gets complex, finding the right combination for these settings is serious tricky and impossible if you have no prior knowledge of the partical view window or system in general.

From the screenshot below you can see in the perspective viewport the WIP of my smoke effects but for the following render I had to switch the birth and uncheck renderable on the partical effects since I was using Vray and I did want this to take one thousand hours just to do a single pass of the frame....

EDIT - I've just noticed only one image has bothered to come up so i'll add them all into another seperate post. No idea why, not even close to the file size capacity.
Many apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment